Osmeña Peak---On Top of the World

I had to play "Top Of The World" by The Carpenters just to get me started tonight. :-D Aside from being one of my favorite classic groups, their song basically best describes what I feel right now because of two big reasons. First, I finally changed Life of Red Eye to Edits by Red Eye (only because www.lifeofredeye.com is not available anymore) and thanks to my friend @SoloFlightEd who helped me with the domain processes. He's always been there to help ever since I started my old blog. May that blog rest in peace though! Hahaha :-D Second reason is that, probably the most important one,  my buddy had been featured in an Australian blog recently and he will soon become an official blogger too! I couldn't be more excited. 

Now though, let me go back to being literally on top of the world! I have seen photos on Instagram showing people, including some of my friends, going to Osmeña peak, the highest point in Cebu and I was like, "I've been living in Cebu for six years and how come I haven't gone there yet?" Maybe I just needed some get-up-and-go. Since my buddy expressed his interest to go there, I thought it would be perfect for us to go there together and be on top of the world---be on top of Cebu. :-D


Tourist waiting for the sun to show up and clear the foggy vicinity.



DALAGUETE---THE GATEWAY TO THE PEAK

We planned three adventures when we decided to go for a trip to the southern part of Cebu so we looked for a town where it would be convenient for us to do all activities location wise. Dalaguete wasn't actually the first choice, but we ended up staying there after getting the cheapest hotel rate (a decent one, except for the poor internet connection inside the rooms) at Ocean Bay Beach Resort. 

For the nth time, we took the Ceres bus, the land transportation I feel to be the safest. The fare was less than Php 150.00 from Cebu City. I don't usually post the exact amount as it varies from time to time depending on how our market performs. :-D Oslob, where we had whale shark watching and an excursion to Tumalog waterfalls, is just a few towns away from Dalaguete. (An Oslob Tale) As regards to Ocean Bay, I should say it's a nice place (my impression was saved by that woman at reception), but make sure to book a room near the lobby and the restaurant to get a good internet connection. 


You can spot numerous vegetable farms along the way and this cabbage garden is located at the starting point. 


THE "HABAL-HABAL" RIDE

We arranged our transportation to the peak at our hotel, which is the most convenient option actually. The friendly lady at reception made sure to get us an experienced driver for a very reasonable rate. We only paid Php 500.00 for a back and forth habal-habal ride, a local name for motorbikes that take people to the mountains.

Like me before, I know a lot of people are hesitant to trek the peak for fear of being exhausted because of an uphill climb, but my experience proved my prejudgment wrong. The motor bike can actually take tourists to the top through a 45-minute to an hour ride and trekking to the top would only take 20 minutes from the starting point. Since we went there this summer, kids were not in school so they work part-time as tour guides. You may negotiate the fee with whoever is assigned to guide you. 






Out tour guide Judy Ann whom I fondly called Andrea, the character of Anne Hathaway in The Devil Wears Prada. :-D





There are various viewpoints at the top and I think, we went to the best three, including the on this photo.


TO BE ON TOP OF THE WORLD

To be on top of the world was an indescribable feeling. I was honestly catching my breath after finishing that 20-minute trek from the starting point, but when you get there, the kind of relaxation you'll get is just amazing---I mean if I could only build a house on that peak and helicopter myself to where it's located. That's luxury in its weirdest form, but why not? :-D When we were on our way to the top, we could already hear people talking. Some of them camped and stayed overnight and some probably arrived ahead of us. 

We were advised to go there early to avoid the heat of the sun and we did so, but then, we ended up waiting for the sun to wipe out the fog that "enclothed" the place for a few hours. It's also better not to wear a sleeveless top as it can be really cold. :-D We just thought the sun would be so up that's why we wore our vests! One of the things I regretted though was not bringing food. We woke up so early that we hadn't had brekky yet so I was kind of hungry especially when I saw campers eating their breakfast. :-D Too bad nobody offered to share their meal. Hahaha Bummer!



En route to Dalaguete from Osmeña peak.


NEEDS FOR CHANGE

Like the change that happened to this blog recently (yes, just a few minutes ago), I thought so many changes need to happen in my life too especially on how I handle things at work. My nature of being a "pleaser" is killing me now. Yes, the need to please people is so difficult. Hahaha Though I can't tell you in details how my career is doing now, but I'm just looking on the positive side of things. :-D Like this trip, smooth and rough roads took turns, good and not-so-good views were spotted, and houses vary from small thatched-roof cottages to Swiss chalets, but all ended well. We just have to keep on moving and slowly tiptoe towards the top because yes, eventually, we'll get there! :-D


XoXo,

Red Eye
@EditsByRedEye (Instagram)
@RedEye0920 (Twitter)
Edits by Red Eye (Facebook)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts