Boracay Like You've Never Seen Before, Post Rehab Era




Year after year, people rave about Boracay nonstop, whether local or foreigners. The island has been recognized by notable travel websites or magazines for being one of the best island destinations in Asia, if not the world, may it be for its wild island parties or just pure rest and relaxation. However, all of these were not enough to push me to click that BOOK NOW button whenever I think about traveling. The island is indisputably attractive, but it is too crowded of a place and it turns me off.

Finally, in 2014, through a friend's invite and irresistible persuasion, I got to have my first Boracay experience. I traveled via Kalibo, Aklan because that was the cheaper route, stayed there for a night, and took a bus going to Caticlan, the gateway to Boracay. We stayed at Pink Patio, which is just a short walk from the shore. Indeed, I found the place really pretty. Its sugary white sand is one of a kind and its waters are as clear as my decision not to ever go back to the island again. I just felt the crowd was not my cup of tea and with the number of people on the island, one cannot expect the water to be pristine despite being generally crystal-clear.

Mariah Carey intervened though. In the middle of my vacation, I had to fly to Manila to watch her concert and fly back to Boracay the day after Click here! This shortened my stay.


CLOSURE AND REHABILITATION

Change has come! In 2018, the current government shut down Boracay for tourists for a 6-month rehabilitation period. While a few people cried fowl over the action, many have supported the government's intent to bring back Boracay to its spotless state, myself included. I was excited, not really because I will have to eat my words on not coming back to the island again, but this move is truly symbolic of the potentials that the country is yet to uncover in the years to come.


This is Boracay before the rehabilitation started. It has become a cesspool as how the president describes it. Photo credits to Wikipedia.

A GLIMPSE OF THE PAST

Let's take a look at Boracay before the influx of tourists that started in the 1970s. The island was already inhabited by Atis even before the Spaniards came to the Philippines. The Ati people are a Negrito ethnic group in the Visayas. Though they were the original inhabitants of the island, they were pushed away when the piece of heaven they have gained fame. Many of them were rendered homeless. Part of the effort to rehabilitate the island was to help the Ati community especially in creating employment opportunities. 




Photo credits to Spot.ph!

THE BORACAY RENAISSANCE

When I had the opportunity to come to Boracay through a team building, I honestly thought twice still. I had a pending international trip that time so I was saving some money. But since my colleagues already booked our tickets, I was left with no choice. I managed to tag my boyfriend along though so I thought it would be nice to have a vacation together outside of Luzon and take this chance to introduce Boracay to him in its splendid condition. 

Indeed, a lot of things have changed. Aside from a cleaner water and the more spacious shoreline, the crowd is not that bad anymore. The government made sure that the number of tourists coming are regulated. Bars and clubs  can stay open even after midnight so long as their loud music are contained inside. Drinking and smoking are not allowed on the beach too. The transportation is way better than before. It is more organized and the introduction of electronic tricycles makes it more sustainable. Flooding still happens during wet season, but the rehabilitation is still ongoing so this is, for sure, a problem that is being addressed too.

You might be wondering why I only have one photo. It is intentional. Unlike my first, I really wanted to savor the island experience this time. The two days and two nights I was here were not enough to really appreciate Boracay in its rebirth. As the rehabilitation goes on, I wish that everyone takes part in it by being a responsible traveler and a respectful visitor. Boracay is away from home, but it is home. It is ours so let's take care of it!

Photo taken at Station One. Congratulations to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Department of Tourism, other agencies or organizations (both private and public), and the current administration for the strong stand on making the change necessary to restore the once damaged island despite the odds.


XoXO,


Red Eye ;-)





Comments

Popular Posts