How I Make Work Life Easier?

I wish it were easy to say "I love my job. I love my job. I love my job!" amidst dripping nose, headache, and muscle spasms that have been haunting me nonstop for the fast few days. If you remember Emily from The Devil Wears Prada, yes, I've become the "incubus viral plague" that she was in the film. This usually happens at this time of the year when our weather can be utterly unpredictable just like life in general. We might be sunny and gay today, but who knows, we'll be stormy and gloomy the day after. And it's not just our physical well-being that's compromised here, our pysche too. But whether the sun is smiling or the sky is pouring, in the pink of health or looking like death's warmed up, life must go on and so does our work!

Consider this a reflection of how I handled my work life for the past six months. I should say life, work has been one hell of a ride and through time, I have figured quite a few effective ways to dance away the challenges that came my way. But being in a bad shape right now, I'm thinking there must be something I'm missing, something I'm not doing, or something I'm not doing consistently. So I made this recollection of what went well and what didn't to somehow refine the relationship I have with my work and my body. Or yours too, maybe.

Read More to check the list I've made in a non-chronological order. Each one is crucial in making our work life easier and happier! ;-)


Skip Anything, But Breakfast

I guess our mothers are right. Breakfast is, indeed, the most important meal of the day. When I started working eight or nine years ago, breakfast was never part of my day. Although in some cases like a complimentary breakfast at a hotel or resort, I would really wake up for it. Who wouldn't? In fact, I just started to make sure that I eat breakfast everyday and I have seen a significant improvement in how I do my work especially on concentration, how I treat my workmates, and how I embrace lightly both the easy and difficult tasks given to me. Research also shows that people who eat breakfast tend to weigh less compared to those who skip.

One of the heartiest breakfasts I devoured during my Baguio trip!


Know What Inspires You

It could be your dream travel destination. Or that sought-after Hermes bag. Maybe that dream house you've always pictured out for you and your parents ever since you were in grade school. It could be anything that makes your eyes pop hearts as the emoji. Just think about it whenever you feel frustrated at work. More so, when you are delighted. Trust me, it will keep you going, it will make you get through the day without even knowing.

Mawun Beach, Lombok, Indonesia. December 2014.


Leave the Negatives to Mathematics

Even in mathematics, there's a lot of plus. It's not always a bad day. This simply means we have the option to focus on the positive side of every situation. Though we cope differently---unique ways and varied pacing---the outcome really depends on us. It's okay to sometimes drown ourselves into the problem, but we have to make sure we know the way out of it unless we choose to be miserable for the rest of our lives. There's a saying that goes, and I hope I'm quoting this correctly, "To a positive person, there is a solution to every problem while the negative one always sees a problem to every solution!" 


What's the prettiest thing you can wear?


Wear Shoes that are Tight Enough

I couldn't find the official text about this research my professor shared back in nursing school, but I have somehow proven this theory was right. Wearing a pair of closed shoes that are snug enough to provide style, comfort, and protection can make a person concentrate or focus more on the task at hand or on a particular subject matter being tackled compared to wearing a relaxed footwear like a pair of flip-flops as that chill, homey feeling can cause the brain to function at a slow pace leading to diminished attention. And yes, you can fall asleep!

Good shoes take you to good places!


Learn to Assert and Compromise

Being assertive is not a bad thing at all. In fact, it's always encouraged in my workplace, but it has to be exhibited with a few right's to consider---the right tone, right words, and probably right timing. We will always have opinions about any subject matter and we must admit it's undeniably irksome if we just keep mum about them. In a place like work, opinions and ideas clash from time to time, but it will never hurt if everyone meets halfway. And sometimes, someone really has got to give, but it doesn't mean he is less than anyone else just for giving way to an idea he thought is better than his.

A real warrior knows when to claim victor and when not.


Continue to Discover and Learn

You aren't a 90's kid if the line "Kung walang knowledge, walang power!" by Ernie Baron is not familiar to you. In English, it means "Without knowledge, there is no power!" I think the sense the line makes will never get old and it applies anywhere, everywhere. Who wouldn't want an employee who always brings something fresh to the table? Not to the point of being cocky though. The point is learning must be a continuous process especially that change is inevitable. Once it happens, we either adapt to it or bury ourselves in obsoletion. Learning is the only passage we have to be able to breathe new air.

My newly delivered glossies fresh from the UK!


Create Yourself, Don't Find It

Tyra Banks once quoted, "You don't find yourself. You create it!" Most of us are probably doing jobs we didn't expect ourselves to be doing. What I'm trying to say is that you might not be a published writer now or a certified fashion editor or a doctor perhaps, but it doesn't mean you'll never become one in the future. If the job you have now is paying the rent, keep it, do good at it. But don't stop right there. Grow your network. Keep on discovering. Create an extension of your 8-5 daily routine so when the day ends, you'll have an avenue where you can pour those dormant creative juices on.

From the perspective of an aspiring Fashion Editor.


Take Time to Walk

Do you want three or seven years added to your lifespan? If so, then you might want to start walking at least twenty minutes per day. But if your work requires you to sit down all day long then you might need to double or triple that said walking duration. Not only does walking increase the lifespan of an individual, it also dictates the mood and energy levels of the person. Personally, ideas and situations would usually frolic in my mind as I walk. As that happens, I already tend to think about how I can express or put my ideas into words and how to act if faced with a particular situation. More like pre-desensitization if there's a thing called that. Walking exercises both the mind and the body in this sense!

What's your walk to remember?


Recognize Anyone's "Job Well Done"

You don't need to be the boss to tell your coworkers they did a good job. Words of appreciation sometimes go farther than monetary reward. Even a smile or a helping hand when someone is trying to meet a deadline and you drop everything just for your fellow to get through a tough task. And don't forget your boss. He is not perfect too (unless he egotistically thinks he is) and probably struggling on completing a task he set for himself. So for every achievement you see, make sure to give him a tap on the back or joyfully say "Nice one, Boss!" "Perfect!" The amount of good energy you've exerted will be the same good energy that will come back to you, or even more!

I always got my coffee treat every time I got 0.00% variance for my Quality evaluations when I used to work as a Team Leader :-P


Eat with Your Fellas

U.S. News online share three reasons to eat with co-workers 1.) Helps build camaraderie 2.) Fosters deeper work relationships 3.) Boosts productivity. These three reasons couldn't be any truer. Having worked as a Team Leader for usually twenty or more people, I can attest that there's nothing more fun than eating with a bunch of different personalities, which most of the time are clashing. But we had food to keep us together.

I eat what they eat. I also eat where they eat. Then it was easier to reach each one of them. It was not that much of a challenge to seek the truth from them and most of the time, I didn't need to give directions anymore. They do the tasks themselves and give the desired results. I might be in a different industry now, but nothing has changed. All is still true about food and the fellas that eat together.

Let's talk about sweet somethings! 


Pray 

Argued by science, supported by psychology, but undoubtedly effective. At least, to believers! I'm not a prayer person myself. In fact, when you look at me, I'm not the one you'll right away think of as religious or spiritual, but I am in my own way. I say a little prayer. I say a little please. I say a little thank you. A little faith wouldn't hurt, would it?

Pink Sisters Convent and Chapel, Baguio City


Live a Life with Fern-C

If there's one thing I am not consistent in doing especially in terms of making my work life easier, it's taking my supplements specifically Vitamin C. First, I'm always in a hurry, forgetful. And second. I tend to overlook the benefits of Ascorbic Acid though I know how it works, being a nursing graduate. For the sake of being factual, Vitamin C helps protect against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular diseases, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and even skin wrinkling according to WebMD. It also aids in protein synthesis vital for wound healing.

Growing up I've only had one concern with Vitamin C and it's being acidic, given I have hyper-acidity. It's alternative Sodium Ascorbate, the non-acidic version. came in numerous brands, but it is only with Fern-C that I am most confident with, which is worth my money at the same time. I remember my mum used to prescribe me this as a college student. For the previous months that I've taken Vitamin C, I became more energetic at work, less irritable, and my canker sores, commonly hitting me when I'm stressed out, lessened or healed much quicker than they used to be. In other words, I was a generally happy adult until I stopped for some reasons I don't know.

Being plagued by stress lately, my body eventually gave in. So now I'm suffering from severe headache, runny nose, muscle spasms, and mood swings. Thank goodness I don't have fever and my appetite is still up. However, now, the regret is mine for not continuing my supplements. But it's never too late. My work can't bring me down and neither can sickness bring my work life down. I have Fern-C and Work Life ay Easy with Fern-C! Subok na!

Work Life ay Easy with Fern-C! Subok na!


XoXo,


Red Eye ;-)

Follow FERN-C on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram and be part of the FERN-C Family ;-)

Comments

  1. Aww, love this post, I was glued from beginning to end. Agreed everything here. Great work!

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts