Taking Every Chance, Dropping Every Fear

View of the office from one of the many lakes in Hanoi.

The more years I gain, the lesser courage I have to take risks, very different from the person I was 10 or 15 years ago.

STARTING WITH A SINGLE STEP

Coming from a small town unbeknownst to everyone, I remember having big dreams even at a very young age. I knew from then that I was not meant to stay even if I saw how my hometown grew from obscurity to the progressive city that it is now. There was hope in the city of golden rice grains, but I was born to fly. The television shows, movies, books and magazines or even music all played a vital role in giving me a sneak peek of the bigger world outside waiting to be discovered.

Then there came a chance to hop on a journey a few years later.

Besides the small hand bag that played room to the few clothes I took with me and a few thousands from my last varsity allowance, I had my dreams to keep me moving. There was no clear path where the ambitious in me would end up to, but I carried on anyway. I was fearless.

While walking in Cebu I.T. Park after my second unsuccessful job application, I saw a sign that says Convergys (now Concentrix). It gave me chills. My heart pumped. It reminded me of my first attempt to be part of this company a few months back. I told myself to try something else. Not this. I should not allow the same thing to break my heart again. But thanks to my friend for being the conscience walking next to me. I gave it another try and this time, I was successful. Convergys became my first employer; the company that gave me a whole new perspective of the world. The work allowed me to see and feel what it is like to be on the other side of the planet without having to actually be there. It was here where my confidence was both challenged and bolstered, where my skills were cultivated and elevated to levels I never imagined, where learning was not uncommon and it knew no limits, and where I, for the second time, gained a family away from home through relationships and friendships that flourished through the years.

The next thing I knew I was already travelling. One local holiday destination, one country at a time with number of flights averaging 23 per year for two years straight. I had my fair share of salary increase, bonuses and debts. Count heartbreaks in as well! The whole ride was crazy. Good days, wild nights, bad days, and exciting ones took turns. But all good things must come to an end. After six years, it was time to leave and author the next chapter.

I lived in Convergys OutThinking and OutDoing and this I toted with me as I entered the doors of tomorrow!


CHAPTER 2015, FASHION IS PASSION

With some money from my retirement, I left Cebu for a much bigger city with a heartbreak. It was painful because I had to leave my friends there who are family to me not to mention the beaches and the plentiful gastronomic options that are distinctly Cebuano. Nevertheless, I felt it was time to pursue my dream to be in the fashion industry while the passion was burning and the interest was lofty even if that meant risking the ample salary I used to get while in the corporate world.

Nope, I did not become a Fashion Editor, not even close to it. But I got in the fashion industry anyway. I worked as a Fashion Studio Manager-slash-Assistant to the Fashion Designer (The New Andy Sachs) as my full-time job. I also did independent work as a stylist to help promote the works of my fashion designer friends whom I've met and become friends with while working as an assistant. The stint I had the privilege of doing, which was closest to my fashion magazine dream was when I got qualified as an editorial intern to L'Officiel Manila. I made two write-ups about the experience through these links Published! and A Short Stint at L'Officiel Manila! I also shared in this blog the articles (original version) I have written for the publication though I lost track of the other ones I penned. See links below of those that I manage to recover.


Within almost two years of juggling between my many responsibilities associated to my role at Ica Serafica---sourcing, accounting, recruitment, payroll, the list goes on and on---I eventually got caught in a dilemma whether to continue my quest for that dream of working in a fashion magazine or use my experience in Convergys to be a team leader again so I'll have two days off in a week, multiple vacation leaves, and of course, earn more. From where I was, I knew the road towards realizing what I wanted was long. I was not even half way yet.

Should I give up? Or was it time to take a detour? It was a race against time. I was not progressing to certain heights that I expected. I felt I was stuck. And as I age, I become more and more insignificant to the world I want to be part of. Had I started young, maybe it was different, less complicated, more exciting than disheartening. These where the baffling thoughts in my head and a decision has to be made.

I quit! The passion did not die, but I had to be practical.


NO REGRETS

It was a big choice to make, but I have no regrets. Giving up on my dream was no easy feat. I invested my time and effort to make it happen. Tears overflowed as much as the joys. But the decision I made was not worth lamenting. This time, I wanted to play my cards more carefully. Options must be weighed in and calculated before making a decision. The once untamed and bold metamorphosed into a timid and restrained being.

I needed a refresh and the opportunity I found in the south of the metro as a team leader in Hinduja Global Services (HGS) gave me that---better pay, more vacation leaves, enticing bonuses, possible career growth, new friendships. As my professional life took an upward motion, my personal life blossomed too. It's as if the stars were aligned. The universe favored me. But the truth is, all of these did not come without any obstacle to vanquish.

I learned new lessons the hard way, but it's something to be thankful for. The discipline, the training propelled me to plunge into a better career opportunity after one year and eight months with ease and finesse. I moved to Sun Life Financial of Canada, closer to Makati where I live. In this organization, I felt more secure, more valued. There is comfort and room to breathe. This may seem cheesy, but what they say is true. Life is brighter under the sun. Everything looked like the rebirth of Convergys especially the way the company takes care of its people.




RISK IT OR BE DAMNED

What if it doesn't work? Do I have a fallback? What if I regret this in the end? I am not getting any younger. I might just grow old broke and miserable! These are the questions and thoughts in my mind every time I think about venturing into something bigger than where I already am. Undeniably an antithesis to who I used to be; a risk-taker, unafraid to try, and always focused on the silver lining.

When an opportunity to work in Vietnam as a Quality Manager knocked on my door, hodgepodge of emotions stormed my inner being. It painted a smile on my face and hailed hope to my soul, but created resounding howls and disturbing drumbeats in my chest at the same time. It took a lot of backing out, haggling, and taking back before commitment was given. I was happy with Sun Life. Though still a work in progress like many organizations, it is a pleasing and promising environment to work in. It values its people as much as the clients.

I thought though that this chance in Vietnam waiting for me to devour is a risk worth taking!

However, resurrecting the lionhearted person that I was before is pretty hellish. So many things have changed throughout the years that passed. The way I approach life as I grow old is becoming less feisty, almost on the brink of complacency. I got tired. But having been given this potential to grow as a professional, I realized it's just a matter of perspective.

What if it works? What if I don't need a fallback? What if I can create opportunities rather than just look for one. I am not getting any younger, that's true. But if I succeed, it'll be celebrated. If I fail, I will grow wiser. Young, old, it doesn't matter. Our destiny is our responsibility.

So this is me taking every chance and dropping every fear as I make a fresh start in a place faraway from home!


XoXo,


Red Eye ;-)



Edits by Red Eye (Instagram)


Comments

Popular Posts