The Art Gallery Outside the Walled City

Arriving in Manila from our Camiguin island holiday via Cebu, my buddy and I were debating on what we can do for the rest of the day. So I thought of the unforgettable things we did before and the things we still haven't done. We have crashed out Malcanan from our list as we've been there last year. We've satisfied our gastronomic cravings for Chinese food in Chinatown quite a few times for the previous years too. We've walked around CCP complex, but have not gotten inside the Coconut Palace so I phoned their tourism officer. Unfortunately though, they only do tours in the morning and we couldn't do it the day after as my buddy had to work. So then the discussion continued.


NATIONAL ART GALLERY

Unsure of what to do, we kept on thinking and the National Museum came to mind. Though my buddy had been there before, there was not much displayed during his visit as the building was undergoing restoration that time. So then we decided to visit the National Art Gallery and I prefer this name than National Museum. :-D  

The building is located just outside Instramuros and it can be identified easily because of its stunning colonial architecture. The entrance fee is Php 150.00 per person and that already includes a visit to the other museum just adjacent to the main building where we were at. Bags had to be left in the counter, but taking photographs are allowed minus the flash. We didn't go to the other museum though as the interior was made modern and that didn't interest me. Hahaha But if you're curious, you can make the most of what you paid for. 

The gallery houses chefs d'oeuvres of some of the country's national artists as Bencab, Juna Luna, Dimasalang, Amorsolo to name a few. The excursion can truly be a feast for the eyes especially for an art enthusiast like me. Looking at each work of art in the gallery, I wished, as a kid in school before, we were able to really see the artworks in person. But too bad, education in the province does not provide that much privilege. However, we had our history books that did the introduction. Hence, my love for art has grown through the years.






The world-famous Spoliarium by Juan Luna. It hangs in the main gallery at the ground floor and is the first work of art (aside from the interior design and architecture of the building) that greets visitors upon entry to the museum.

Sculpture of the man in red shoes by AJW (my buddy's initials) :-D





'The Photographer' :-D Sculpture by Red Eye Hahaha This is another rare photo of my buddy doing what he does best! :-P




THE PAVED ROADS OF INTRAMUROS

We didn't go to Fort Santiago anymore as we've already had an excursion there in September of 2013. That was my first and probably his second. Yes, he'd been to more places in the Philippines than me! Hahaha I might do a throwback entry of our Instramuros holiday before if the photos are still in my laptop. 

This time, we just walked on the streets of this walled city from the National Art Gallery to Manila Cathedral, the church we wanted to visit back then, but was under renovation. Instead, we visited San Agustin church  during that time where we or I was stunned by it's 3-D painted ceiling. Check it out HERE :-) I still couldn't get enough of the architecture in this area. It's probably obvious now or I bet I'm already sure enough of the architecture of my future house just by looking at the photos below.

The paved roads, windows, doors, lighting, verandas---everything's just perfection, exactly something I would want to wake up to everyday. I just love old structures as aside from their architectural splendor, there is a story for each detail, for every corner. And I love stories. And I love to time-travel. So expect that this is not going to be the last walk on the streets of Intramuros. :-P And every place my buddy and I have visited will always be my favorites. Oops! Another soppy remark! :-D






THE MANILA CATHEDRAL

Yes, the pope was here this year, but that isn't the reason why I wanted to visit the place. Hehehe Before the Vatican announced the pope was coming to the country, I've been wanting to visit this place already. The reason? Hmmm Sharon and Gabby, my favorite love team back in the 80's were married here. Hahaha The marriage only lasted for a few years though citing irreconcilable differences and bigamy as Gabby was already married before he wed Sharon. Yes, they were a famous love team in the 80's, but please don't think I'm too old talking about this. LOL. Growing up in the 90's introduced me to old Filipino movies since my father was addicted to them too. Hahaha :-D Of course, the architecture and interior design of the church also interest me the most. 







After being asked by no less than my buddy to limit talking about soppy thoughts in my blog, I'm having a hard time ending this entry now. Maybe I need some Rumer songs to help me with this. Hahaha Well, this was one of the last 'just us' activities we've done before he flew home. There were goodbye's (for now) a few days after this, but as the song goes 'Let me tell you goodbye doesn't mean forever. Let me tell you goodbye doesn't mean we'll never be together again!' So I've gone sentimental again. Hahaha But you know the walled city had gone through wars, the cathedral survived earthquakes, and the museum underwent countless renovations, but they're all still standing. And I guess that's not impossible for any one of us! :-P

XoXo,

Red Eye

@LifeOfRedEye (Instagram)
@RedEye0920 (Twitter)
Life Of Red Eye (Facebook)


Comments

Popular Posts