An Oslob Tale---Swimming with the Whale Sharks

Another gratis trip. Yehey! 

This is quite unexpected actually. An experience with the whale sharks is something I don't fancy doing anymore after I've tried it four or five years ago (when the place wasn't too commercial yet) unless my best travel bud is here who hasn't tried it yet, then I'd be up for another swim baby! A trip with my favorite bud would've been my second, but a very good friend of mine, Mikejun (Instagram), invited me to accompany him and his Japanese friends to an escapade in Oslob, specifically to rub elbows with the renowned inhabitants of this Cebu countryside. Another friend of his named Jam also shared the thrilling moments with us. It was confirmed that I'd be part of the trip only the day before so my preparation was quite hasty yet it's something I'd probably gotten used to so it wasn't that much of a hassle. After all, it was an all expenses paid trip. Who am I to complain? :-D 





GETTING THERE

If only monetary luxury was mine then I would have loved taking care of all the expenses for this trip. Hahaha You know that's typically Filipino when we accommodate visitors from other places. But that wasn't the reality during this time. So as one of the invitees, I was pressured to give our guests the best experience possible. And, I guess, we didn't fail! Don't you think the message below is just sweet?

"if mike and em (me) and jum don't came, don't enjoyed yesterday. we say salamat to you!"---Masaki

The whale shark adventure is allowed by the government from 6am to 12pm only so going there as early as 4am is highly recommended. That way you can avoid the city traffic, save yourself from the scorching heat of the sun while on the boat or when swimming, and have more time to experience other activities in Oslob. The trip takes 3-4 hours from the city and I would recommend Ceres bus as the medium of transportation for only Php 155.00 one-way air-conditioned trip. Olivia Yanson should cut me a check for promoting her transit company. :-D 

We didn't go to any resort the first time I was there. In fact, there were no 'whale shark' resorts yet back then and the government only had little participation in regulating the activities in the area. But now, everyone's involved in promoting this famous tourist attraction while maintaining the welfare of these wonderful sea creatures. Since I can't remember the contact person for my first visit, we sought advise from the bus conductor. So he dropped us off to this resort called MB's Sunrise View Resort whose services and rates truly didn't disappoint. 




With the group at the briefing area. Touching and riding on the back of the whale sharks aren't allowed and the use of camera flash is strictly prohibited. Your might also want to leave your sunblock creams and lotions in your bag as using them is a big no-no. Visitors are only allowed to swim 3-4 meters away from the 'tiki' (local name). However, getting close to the whale sharks can't be avoided at times if they are the ones swimming close to you unnoticed so the guides will just pull you away from them. Any violations committed is subject to Php 6,000.00 fine or 6 months imprisonment. Briefing is a requirement so you'll have a run through of all the Do's and Don'ts when you get there. 





The only best photo of myself I could pick with the gentle sea giants. :-D We had four guides and all of them helped in paddling the boat. I think motorboats are not allowed as they might scare the whale sharks away. Our guides took turns in taking photos and in pushing us downwards just to get the perfect shot. Someone from another boat too was tasked to feed the animals to lure them, I guess. Life vests were provided and must be worn while on the boat to the viewing site and snorkeling gears were available too and were all part of the package. 

I can't believe I'm posting this photo. Why in hell am I closing my eyes here? :-D


MB's SUNRISE VIEW RESORT

I couldn't tell if there was a sunrise view in the resort as we arrived a little late. :-D Okay, so this is the resort where the bus dropped us off. I still couldn't understand why foreigners have a pricier rate than local tourists. I didn't remember inquiring about that too as I was too busy thinking about the activities we'd be doing. Anyway, so the rates were actually quite okay except for the difference I mentioned above. If you wish to go on diving, it's gonna be Php 2,500.00 plus all other fees like the guide, equipment, etc. Masaki, our Japanese friend, wanted to go diving with his sister, mom, and Mikejun, while Jam and I preferred snorkeling with the whale sharks for only Php 500.00; local tourist and Php 1,000.00 for foreigners. Since, Masaki's mom, Rieko, doesn't know how to swim and there was only one diving guide available, all of us decided to opt for the snorkeling option. There's also a package where guests can just stay on the boat and observe the whale sharks, but we thought that was no fun! :-P We had to choose our options quickly as we were running out of time. 

I highly recommend this resort to all who want to do the same adventure. Get in touch with them through +639065869895 or +639232971176 and look for Marilyn Lagahid. The place is located in Tan-awan, Oslob, Cebu. The resort also has a restaurant (where we had lunch after our whale shark adventure) and the food prices range from Php 100.00 to Php 200.00. I must say their Adobo's are decadent and the Lechon Kawali was yummy too. It makes me hungry remembering  it now. 





Rieko (the mom), Yumi (the sister), and Masaki (Mikejun's friend). Masaki is in the country to study English and Mike is one of his English tutors. Rieko and Yumi are here for a short holiday. Masaki is based in Tokyo for work, Rieko in Hiroshima and Yumi in Osaka. I must say the Japanese people, aside from their beauty, have admirable manners---just so proper and respectful. But they say, there are 'bad' guys there too. Hahaha :-D And amazingly, they eat so little. Little's probably not the right term. They eat enough. That's it! The thing was we ordered all meat for lunch and we were surprised and at the same time embarrassed when they looked for vegetables. Hahaha :-D


SIDE TRIP TO SUMILON AND TUMALOG WATERFALLS




The diving was cancelled for them. I felt quite disheartened for that, but the resort didn't run out of options to offer. Since we got a refund for the diving fee and the other charges that came with it, there was a boost in the budget. :-D So then they recommended a tour to Sumilon Island's sand bar then Tumalog falls afterwards; all boat, motorcycle, and entrance fees included. This was the second time I stepped foot on the shores of Sumilon. I was able to stay there for 3 days and 2 nights some time in 2011 if not mistaken. All the details are in old blog and FB! :-P I can't dig into the deets anymore. To get the best rates for this package, make sure your group has 5-6 persons so you can divide all the fees and not leave the place with all your finances drained. 








It was rainy season when I first came to Sumilon so it was kind of windy. The sun was up though, it drizzled a little, but I didn't get to appreciate the waters and the sandbar until this trip. I guess it's the season so I would recommend that going to the island during summertime would be best. All the photos above and below prove that Sumilon is one of the best summer getaways we have in the country. If budgeting is not much of a concern for you then you can stay on the island resort probably 3 days and 2 nights and I think that would be enough to mix the perfect experience of relaxation and adventure given the whale shark watching and waterfall adventures are just nearby. 











ECONOMIC BOOST IN OSLOB

I used to frequent Oslob a few years ago and I got to have an overnight stay last year (after a few years of hiatus) with some friends and with this recent trip for this year, I couldn't help, but notice how Oslob, a calm and laid back countryside, had become one of the best tourist destinations in the country. As what I have mentioned in my old post for my trip last year, THEY SAY OSLOVE FOR OSLOB, we have the whale sharks to credit for it. You can also check on this entry of mine for photos and activities we did at Tumalog waterfalls.

Backpacker's Inns have sprouted like mushrooms and cafes have opened. We even had dinner at cafe Bora, a restaurant that didn't exist before as far as my memory is concerned. The number of resorts have increased and the existing ones surely improved their architecture and I'd like to assume, their services and packages too. Before, I could only see one or two foreign tourists walking around the town area, but this time, there's countless of them, not counting the local adventurers. The place is already a beauty on its own, but with the consistent progress and influx of different races coming to visit, I can say Oslob has gone far beyond being a small town gifted with natural splendor and a simple retreat for its locals who are working in big cities and other countries. 







When everyone's flaunting all their summer adventures for 2015, I told myself I can't be defeated. Hahaha But I'm just kidding. It just so happened that I have all these amazing opportunities showering upon me. I couldn't be any thankful. And I'm not in the position to brag about anything. I never loved summer this much and all the trips I had so far since February had been amazing. Can you believe that? February? I actually started my summer earlier than I thought and the fun still goes on. From the island hopping tour in Cebu to Camiguin Island in Mindanao to a metropolitan sanctuary, Makati, to Mount Mayon in Albay to Manjuyod Sandbar in Negros Oriental to my hometown, Bayawan, for the Holy Week to this trip in Oslob. Whether it's something I paid for or something that happened out of the generosity of my friends, I'm just grateful. And I'm hoping and praying my best bud would come really soon to continue my/ our tales of summer 2015. I can't wait! <3 <3 <3


XoXo,

Red Eye
@LifeOfRedEye (Instagram)
@RedEye0920 (Twitter)
Life Of Red Eye (Facebook)



Popular Posts