Preview: "Void" Campaign of Ranroe by Rani Tolentino

I never really intended on modelling. Maybe in my wildest daydreams, yes. Hahaha Let's just say I'm one of the many who are not gifted with an amazing bone structure and that mighty height. It could be heartbreaking, but those two prerequisites of modelling are a known fact :-D So many years ago, I thought that if I can't be a model, I'll make clothes for them. But then I didn't become a fashion designer. Hahaha I did a few try's, but I only got slaps of disappointment landing on my face. And then I thought if I can't be model or a fashion designer, then I might be a good stylist TO OTHER PEOPLE (only because I'm just a t-shirt-shorts-and-flip-flops kind of kid LOL). So then I collected hundreds of magazines just to keep me inspired and a bit knowledgeable.

Fast forward to last week, my friend Rani, a budding fashion designer, tapped me do some kind of styling job for her look book/ campaign shoot, which she will present as part of her thesis. Yes, for her menswear collection that will, in no time, debut on the runway on her graduation day come October 25, 2015. What happened was a mixture of unfortunate and a "blessing in disguise" incidents because the members of her original team backed out (that was the sad part) so she had to call me up and a few other friends to fill in the missing spots (yes, this part was my serendipity LOL) :-D It was also my first time to see and lay my hands on the pieces from her collection, which, I think, are seriously amaaaaaaazing and undoubtedly painstakingly done! Give me more adverbs and adjectives fellas! :-D 


"The Model and The Stylist" :-D When I showed Rani a photo of my friend Bernard Kevin Bacalla, she was right away smitten by his manly locks and to-die-for facial hair and then wanted to get him as a model. Knowing Kevin as an aspiring model and as an artist himself, I then did the necessary introduction :-P (Photo: Kevin Baybay)

***Disclaimer: The photos are just outtakes LOL especially that I'm in the picture. Watch out for the proper ones when Ranroe, the label, will be officially unveiled.


(Photo: Kevin Baybay)

Bernard Kevin, known on Instagram as @KevinClines, is an architect by profession. He specializes on minimalist structures and does modelling as a "hobby" :-D Get to know him more by checking his profile! (Photo: Red Eye using iPhone)

(Photo: Red Eye using iPhone)

RANROE by Rani Tolentino

When Rani was still doing her internship in the fashion house I'm working in, I already saw how big of a designer she can become in the future. With the right mentoring, experience, and a goal set in mind, she will defo be a fashion designer to watch out for. While my boss, icaseraficaspecializes on womenswear, Rani's forte is for the male population. The tops that Kevin and I are wearing in the photo are made of uniquely woven fabric and cut into different comfortable styles that perfectly suit a warm environment like the Philippines. At first, they can look intimidating, but as soon as you put each piece on, you'll forget all the nerves that are initially bothering you. 

The coats from the collection, which I can't post for now (the reason for the black and white resolution) are intricately made. Most of the parts are hand-stitched especially the pleating. I'm a fan of minimalism, but if you want to stand out from the rest, her coats are surely the best pick. With all the details and embellishments focused on the top, we wanted to balance the looks out by keeping it minimal at the bottom. Rani commissioned a special group to make "mandals" for her label, which was a fashion No-No many seasons ago, but its resurgence became a staple for men lately. And yes, I have a pair of "mandals" too as you can see in one of the photos. 


(BTS Photo: Red Eye using iPhone)

The team includes Kevin Baybay (The Photographer), Rani Tolentino (The Fashion Designer/ Director), Bernard Kevin Bacalla (The Model), Kristine Ramos (The Hair and Make-up Expert), EJ Gueco (A fashion designer himself and the co-director of the shoot), and of course, moi :-D Edits By Red Eye (The Stylist)

When I was doing sample poses for Bernard Kevin to emulate :-P


Posing in front of the camera with prying eyes on you can be horrifying, but I must say, once I saw some results, it can be rewarding too. Hahaha But I still can't be a model! I will leave it to Kevin who has got what it takes be the next America's Next Top Model? Hehehe :-D And I didn't want to compromise Rani's label too if I appeared on her campaigns. I gotta save the friendship baby Hahaha What I'm really most excited about is when the official photos will be released. I've seen snaps shared by Rani herself and I couldn't be any prouder for the work that was done. Can't wait to have my own Ranroe hanging in my closet! And Rani, don't forget my mandals! Hahaha :-D 


XoXo,

Red Eye :-P

@EditsByRedEye (Instagram)
@EditsByRedEye (Twitter)
Edits By Red Eye (Facebook)

Comments

Popular Posts