Few Things to do in Hong Kong for Three Full Days

Outside the Hong Kong Cultural Centre, a multi-purpose performance facility in Tsim Sha Tsui.





Distance of 34.10 miles. A total of 89, 468 steps. 3 full days. This sums up my second trip to Hong Kong last year. It wasn't the usual Disneyland or Ocean Park kind of trip. The first one back in 2013 was not like that as well. Not my cup of tea! 

While my first time in Hong Kong was all about the Bank of China tower or architecture in general, the one I had last year was more focused on the most local experience possible; food, something cultural or traditional, Bank of China tower (my forever Hong Kong crush) and anything unexpected. 

Though I always want everything to be spontaneous, this time, I made a little list of what I wanted do especially that I tagged a friend along. It was his first time in Hong Kong, also his first out of the country trip. I gave expectations though that there was no Disneyland or Ocean Park in the itinerary. He happily acquiesced!

Here are a few things I did in Hong Kong that made me realize the goals I had for this trip.


1. Spend Time Walking Around

Lan Kwai Fong, Hollywood Road, Queen’s Road, Hongkong Park, etc. With all my travel experiences, I came to realize that one of the best ways to get to know a place is by foot or by food. And again, spontaneity is your best friend. Just keep on walking. Do not obsess over talking a good photo. Indulge in the experience and be surprised by every discovery along the way.

View of Lippo Centre from Hong Kong Park. 

The Hong Kong Park is a public park in the city and is an example of modern design and facilities blending with natural landscape. 

I don't approve of this as these gentle creatures are supposed to be in the wild. But here though, they can surely be taken care of.

A touch of nature in the city. 


Coming here was not part of the plan. But my aunt who lives in the city knows the place quite well. So during our first day, we did a little walk around Hong Kong Central and that walk took us here. It did not disappoint, but the park was still undergoing rehab after the storm that hit the city a week before we arrived. 

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought Lan Kwai Fong was a restaurant. So we kept on roaming around this section in Central looking for a place named Lan Kwai Fong. Then later realized it's actually a small square of streets in Central, which is a popular expatriate haunt in the city for drinking, clubbing, and dining. 

Central, Hong Kong.

Busy day. Being one with both foreigners and the locals.

Somewhere on Queen's Road. It reminds me so much of the old Hong Kong films that I watched as a kid.

One of the small roads while walking on Hollywood Road, another street I came across that was not part of the plan. I was very surprised to see a line of antique shops and antique kiosks and tables on small alleyways from the main street.  See photo below.

Small antique shops seen from the main road.

Old Town Mural, Hollywood Road. Not on my list as I expected this to be very touristy, but since we were already there, why not take the opportunity, right? It would have been nicer though if I was able to take a portrait shot, but the place was jam-packed with tourists as expected. I could only afford square. 

Across the Old Town Mural is this flower wall. Here's my friend who braved the long-distance walking with me.


2. Eat and Shop Like a Local

We found an amazing place at the far end of Queen’s Road (menu written in Chinese characters with vague English translation, no food photos), small cafeterias and shops in Mong Kok, street food everywhere and anywhere.

We were in search for a place where Hong Kong locals would usually eat specifically employees of businesses around the area. I forgot the name of the place already, but we never found it. While walking miles along Queen's Road though, we saw a lot of restaurants. We could not decide  where to go as the names were in Chinese. Until we finally decided to choose one. Though the walk was really far, we were tired and drenched in sweat, it was worth it. I could say the meal we had here was the best I ever had in Hong Kong.

When the shopping was done, we were hungry and tried this place somewhere in Mong Kok as well. As I always recommend, it is best to try the local karenderias. The struggle was real. The menu was not in English and the sales people did not know how to speak English as well. However, we got through and it was worth it. 


It tasted good, but it would have been better if this was served hot. I read somewhere online not to trust if the food is not served hot. Or maybe this one really was meant to be cold. I did not have a bad tummy afterwards so I guess it was okay.


Not something new, but this is at my aunt's favorite fast food in the city, Cafe de Coral.I remember the first time I was here, she also took me to this place. Hong Kong time is the only time I eat duck.


Mong Kok, the shopping mecca in Hong Kong.
3. Experience Something Traditional 

We watched the traditional Dragon Fire Dance in Tin Hau as part of the Mid-Autumn Festival celebration and cheered with the locals. The best vantage point is along Wun Sha Street, just a short work from Tin Hau Station. Thanks to Discover Hong Kong! We were in Victoria Peak when the people from Discover Hong Kong handed a flyer about the celebration and encouraged us to visit and join in the fun.

It started really late, but I wouldn't recommend going there late as the venue could be filled with countless locals and foreigners. Just come early so you can get the best spot. Is it worth going? For the experience, yes. To go there again, I am not sure. Maybe if I'm in a nice restaurant, at the balcony, overlooking the show. I bet the view there is spectacular. And comfortable too.










4. Visit the Local Party Scene

This is something I really wanted to experience and I made it happen. It was a bit of a challenge though as our hostel was in Tsim Sha Tsui while the clubs on my list are in Central. The Hong Kong ferry stops operating at 11:30pm, but the party starts at 12:00 midnight, right? So we had to ask a few locals, which bus number could take us back to Kowloon at around 3:00am. If we took the taxi, we would have paid a very expensive fare.

The gay clubs we checked out were Wink, Zoo, and FLM and we observed how both the tourists and locals flirt. Had, at least, four bottles of their local beer called Tsing Tao, which I mistakenly called Tai Tsing.


Wink for Twinks. A lot of cute twinky guys here, but the scene was not that alive. Maybe we were in the wrong timing, not mating season yet. LOL! The staff though was nice and offered free crisps for us to munch while drinking. Photo not mine. CCTO.

In terms of "demographics", this is probably my favorite. Too bad we were not too dressed up that time (everyone looked so posh) so we only stayed for five minutes. If one is looking for a real party, this is the best way to go. It was filled with people and everyone was really having fun. Photo not mine. CCTO.

The last stop was FLM. I don't know what FLM stands for, but this was where we stayed the longest. It wasn't crowded and people actually talked. I made friends with a French guy who works there as a teacher. The gay bar tenders laughed at how I mispronounced the beer I ordered, but found me cute. Photo not mine. CCTO.

5. Get Lost

We took the Hong Kong ferry at night with a nice view of Hong Kong Central from Kowloon, had a try of the local taxi, which I didn’t do before. Skipped taking the Dingding as I preferred walking this time and I’ve already experienced it five years ago. Took a random bus not knowing the exact destination (it took us to another island) and rode back to where I departed.




Locally called Dingding. 

Photo not mine. CCTO






6. Make Friends with Locals and Other Tourists 

We met a lot of locals who lent their phones for directions in finding “hidden” streets, dined with Lucas, our Australian hostel roommate who is very concerned and friendly. I met up with my aunt as well who has been living in Hong Kong for more than 10 years already. With that, she's more like a local now, don't you think so? :-D Our experience would have been luxurious and smooth-sailing if we bought a local sim and had internet as we toured.


My aunt, me, and my friend, Mike.

Our Australian roommate who was on his way to Canada. Our room can accommodate six, but of the five guests who were there, it was him whom we had conversations with. 


Since we skipped Disneyland and Ocean Park, I made sure my friend experienced Victoria Peak. If it were just me, I would have avoided touristy areas like this one, but of all the main attractions there are in Hong Kong, it's this that I'll never get tired of visiting. The double-decker bus ride offers a picturesque view of Hong Kong in different sides all the way to the top.










If Hong Kong were not too expensive to live in, it's probably one of the places in Southeast Asia I would want to reside in. I'd like to say it's the New York City in our region. The gap between the rich and poor though is so big. Some documentaries have shown the poor living conditions in the city and how expensive a decent apartment would cost someone brought by a number of rich "mainlanders" moving to the city, which is a factor leading to the soaring prices of properties in the area.

The city has been plagued as well by an ongoing protest from the locals about Hong Kong's extradition law. Many have called it an "evil law" even as the government has said it's urgently needed to prevent  Hong Kong from becoming a "haven for fugitives." Very recently, people from the subway have been attacked by gangsters. Sources say that there were no policemen to help and all police stations were closed during the time of the incident.

Being a patron of this city, I hope they can have it all figured out; what's really good for the people, what is good for Hong Kong.




'Til next time!


XoXo,


Red Eye


Edits By Red Eye (Instagram)

Comments

Popular Posts