Mariah Carey: The Elusive Chanteuse Show, Manila 2014

My heart's jumping, so excited to share my recent experience with you guys. It's two firsts for me---first time seeing my all-time favorite singer, Mariah Carey, live on stage and first time flying to Boracay, a premier tourist destination in the Philippines. But let me tell you a little story first about why these two major events in my life intertwined.

A few months ago, a friend and I booked a trip to Boracay for a short holiday after he got gratis resort vouchers from one of his students, something that he couldn't resist using. So then I volunteered as a travel buddy as I haven't been to Boracay yet. As October went closer, news about Mariah coming to Manila was all over the country for her 'The Elusive Chanteuse Show' and as the details of the show became clearer, I learned she'd do the concert on one of the days I'd be in Boracay. Bummer! But that didn't hinder me from seeing her. I had to do a little compromise and good thing my friend gave me his unsurpassed understanding. :-D Instead of having Cebu-Kalibo, Kalibo-Cebu flights, I had to book more just to be in the concert and not miss my island getaway at the same time. Flight then became Cebu-Kalibo, Kalibo-Manila, Manila-Kalibo, and lastly, Kalibo-Cebu. Isn't that crazy? My pocket had gone to its most exhausted state too though not me physically. Hahaha :-P It doesn't matter though. The last time Mimi came was still 2003 and I don't want to wait for another eleven years to see her again. I thought this was the perfect time. I just couldn't miss it!

I've been a super fan of Mimi, since I was in grade school and I grew up listening and singing her songs. There's no other artist like her. She was able to reinvent herself through time. No wonder she is still the star that she is now. Her songs, aside from being billboard hits and memorable, are the most difficult to sing. Mariah Carey, I would agree with everyone, is often imitated, but never duplicated and so does her songs! 

Despite bad reviews of her shows in Tokyo and Seoul, the Mall of Asia Arena was still filled with thousands of lambily-ies (as what she calls her fans), myself included. We all know she's going through a separation right now and she's just human and whatever emotional struggles she's going through now surely affects her physically too. But I must say with utmost pride and confidence, Mariah Carey bounced back in Manila. She just proved her haters wrong. She's still got it and she showed it LIVE. I can attest to that because I was there! She pretty much sang a lot of my favorites and your favorites too---Fantasy, Heartbreaker, Emotions, Fly Like A Bird, I'll Be There, We Belong Together, Always Be My Baby to name a few!

I'm sorry for excessively talking. I still couldn't get over my Mimi experience. This hangover will surely last for days, weeks, months, I don't really know. All I can say is that the chanteuse wasn't elusive at all. And yes it was Mariah Carey, like it or not, she will still be here for long! :-D I LOVE YOU, MIMI! <3 <3 <3



Thanks to my partner airlines for my trip. :-D Or should I say thanks for the promo rates. Everything was made possible---Cebu Pacific, Air Asia, and Tiger Air. :-D



Before flying to Manila, I got this view from a restaurant just in front of Kalibo International Airport. It's been quite some time, since the last time I got a closer look of paddy fields. 



Mariah's concert didn't start until 8PM, but I booked a flight at least 8 hours earlier. So when I arrived, I just spent the entire afternoon at Mall of Asia and the views above saved the boredom. I knew the sunset there would be spectacular so I waited and it was worth it. I had to wait for my friend too, Islaw, for dinner.


A few minutes before the show started. I'm going to post some videos on my YouTube channel soon so you guys can see what I saw in the concert through my eyes! :-D Hahaha


Despite the hating and bashing online, the lambily-ies in the Philippines didn't fail Mimi for support. We weren't there to witness if she missed to hit a high note or some thing of that sort, but we were there no matter what for the love of Mimi oblivious of the amount we paid. However, she didn't disappoint her Filipino fans. It was all live and she hit those damn high notes and whistles, baby!


I felt the love during the show. I think it was Mimi's way to get us all lambily-ies united. I found new friends. We were strangers to each other, but we treated each and everyone like we've been friends for years. We sang and danced to the songs together. <3 <3 <3
__________________________________________________

After the show, I originally planned to just sleep in the airport while I wait for my flight the next morning. I didn't realize I was going to be at NAIA Terminal 4 and unfortunately, there's not much spots there where I could rest. But I got lucky or should I say, I got LOVE. ;-) Someone 6,751.20 miles away from me got me a room at Chateau Elysee. Isn't that the sweetest? (cheeks blushing :-D) Bear hugs!


Entry to the clubhouse.


Foyer of the clubhouse.


View of the units from the elevator window.


View from my bedroom balcony. Chateau Elysee is a residential condominium, but there are units for rent. My room is fully furnished. It's got its own kitchen, living and dining room, and bedroom with a good balcony view as seen in the photo. The price was reasonable enough, 22.70 UK Pound or 1,630.70 Philippine Peso. You can book through Expedia.com or contact its booking officer, Riza, at 09263509072

Thanks for the love and concern! :-P

__________________________________________________

It's time for Boracay. I flew from Manila at 10AM and arrived in Kalibo at around 11AM as the flight was a little late. I then proceeded to the kiosk of Island Star Express where my transportation was booked. The trip from Kalibo to Caticlan took an hour and thirty minutes. Island Star Express also has affiliated boats and one of them took me and the rest of its passengers to Boracay island on a 15-minute ride. While on the plane, by the way, I met this big family from Pampanga who was also there for a holiday. They noticed I was alone so they kept me company all throughout by talking to me. Their smiles and chitchats gave me the relief I need after all the travelling. When we docked, they took the van going to La Carmela de Boracay and I took the one going to Patio Pacific where I stayed. I wasn't able to take photos of the hotel as I was more excited of the beach. Don't ask me of the accommodation as it was all free, but the place was decent enough and the rooms were lovely too. It's got its own pool, gym, and restaurant and the walk to the beach from the hotel is just five minutes.

Since I arrived late, the sun wasn't so up anymore. I just quickly ate my late breakfast around 3PM already, changed clothes, and headed to the beach with my friend. I already missed the view of the place in bright sunlight so I couldn't miss the sunset this time. Check the spots I captured!






It was my first time in Boracay and I must say the beach is gorgeous, the sunset is spectacular, the people are so full of energy, the water is so pristine and crystal-clear, the place was so full of activities to do, but I'd like to say it's not for me. :-D Hahaha Don't take this the wrong way. Boracay is a beauty and I don't disagree with that fact. But in a crowd for a holiday is just not for me. :-D El Nido, Palawan, is still the best island experience I ever had---it being secluded, a little private and not too touristy (at least during my stay there), enough island activities to do (just being one with nature), and romantic are the main ingredients I look for a holiday! :-P




For the night life though, I think Boracay has what every party animal is looking for. There is a wide array of bars, clubs, and restaurants along the beach. There's different types of music being played. You just have to choose which ones suit you best. Too bad I wasn't in the mood to party that night. It was just an overnight stay and I still had that Mimi hangover. Maybe if I stayed longer, I would've appreciated the place more.


I capped the night off by having a good massage at Palazzo Spa. It had the grandest interior. I saw a lot of well-advertised hotels along the beach, but this spa's interior captured me the most. Too bad my phone died when I was there. I could've taken more photos. Maybe I was too tired or the massage was just really good that I fell in deep sleep when I had it.

________________________________________________

I couldn't wait for the sun to be so up anymore or else I will miss my flight. I tried to capture the sunrise, but Mr. Sun was quite elusive that time so I only got the photos below. The sky was a bit dark yet and Mr. Sun is just peeping somewhere.





The photos below are probably the reasons why I would want to go back. While I was in Manila for Mariah's concert, my friend who was left on the island took some photos at daylight. He was able to capture the sun at its brightest, lighting up the beach and its waters. Just spectacular. Thanks to @povllvcnc of Instagram for the photos. :-P They are splendidly taken! Kudos!







Gosh, I missed these views! Had I arrived earlier, I would've savored the spectacle. Or if only the sun was kind enough to be so up and bright when I arrived. Hahaha :-D



See how used my Mimi album is? Hehehe It just proves I listen to her music all the time. I could download songs online, but no! And please forgive the hand holding the CD. It's not that pretty this time! :-D The hangover is still on! I can still hear Mimi singing in my head. I can still see visualize how the crowd went wild every time she hit those high notes and showcase her signature whistle register. I can still feel the love I felt; the brotherhood and sisterhood of lambily-ies! I had to cut my holiday short, but it was worth it. And the love and support from the people around me---friends, my agents, my love (my addiction)? Unbelievable! Thank you! :-D <3 :-P Check me on Instagram for more photos @LifeOfRedEye which is linked to my Twitter @RedEye0920

XoXo,

Red Eye ;-)

Comments

Popular Posts