American Vogue without Grace Coddington?

There was a fire happening in our neighborhood last night, but the news that shocked me really was Grace Coddington, the world's favorite Creative/ Fashion Director, stepping down as one of the creative (the most creative for me LOL) forces of U.S Vogue. I was like "What will fashion (American Vogue) be like without Grace?" I thought it was a retirement. I thought it was the end of the Grace era. And I was worried if there is someone who can complement Anna Wintour's aura like how Grace does it. She is just simply irreplaceable. 

According to sources, she will assume the role of Creative Director At Large to be able to work on projects outside of Vogue, which means that she will still do projects for the renowned fashion magazine especially shoots throughout the year. Coddington was noted saying "I'm not running away from Vogue. But it will be nice to collaborate, and nice to go out (and) give talks to people. It's just another approach. I'm certainly not going into retirement. I don't want to sit around!" And I was like "Thank goodness!" Hahaha I thought I was gonna mourn about this change for so long!


 Here's a photo of this styling genius, which I snatched from her Instagram account as she signs the books of her namesake. 


 Aside from being known as the Creative Director of Vogue, Grace is a famous style star being known for her signature look---no to minimal make-up, amazing red hair and loose-fitting, monochrome pieces!


Grace suprisingly became a star when she was featured in the Vogue documentary The September Issue released in 2009, which I'm privileged to have a copy of (Thanks to @AlexanderTravels). In the film, her often-tense relationship with Anna Wintour was highlighted. But many would agree, including myself, that their tandem is defo the "bread and butter" of American Vogue. I fell in love with her even more when I watched The Editor's Eye, another documentary paying tribute to the Fashion Editors of Vogue through the years.


At 74, Grace is still a force to be reckoned with and she's tireless. Her obviously undying passion to what she does is truly an inspiration. In fact, the reason why I'm blogging about her aside from being a fan is that she's instrumental to what I've started to pursue last year. It's gonna be a long way for sure, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get to where she is now someday. And for American Vogue? Surely, it will thrive. Anna, the fashion pope, is still the big boss and will definitely continue to take the magazine ahead of its contemporaries and another Vogue virtuoso that I look up to the most, Tonne Goodman, is still part of the team. I guess the big question for now is, "Who will take on the role as Creative Director?" What Grace left is some big shoes to fill, isn't it? :-P


"Always keep your eyes open. Keep watching. Because whatever you see can inspire you!"---Grace Coddington

XoXo,

Red Eye ;-)


Comments

Popular Posts