Less Than 48 Hours in Bangkok---The Unexpected Connection





Isn't two years too late? 

If not for Facebook Memories, I wouldn't probably realize it's been two years already, since I had my very first trip to Thailand. But maybe, when something feels like home, two years wouldn't really matter. Bangkok was the quintessential expecting the unexpected. From its transportation, to the food, to its culture and to the people just to name a few. Even the language barrier was almost non-existent. It felt like home.  I felt like I belonged.

When my Singapore dream vanished in darkness, I thought Bangkok was a great alternative especially that I had one of my best friends living there before. When I went there though, she already moved to Canada. And I wished I had the courage back then to move to the city, after declining all her invites, without any doubts or fear. It happened anyway in the form of a holiday. 


TRANSPORTATION

My friend and I took the train from the airport to the city central. If my memory serves me right, the fare was less than Php 200.00. I checked the latest rate, it ranges from Thb 90.00 to Thb 150.00. I usually take the cab, rent a car, or take the bus from the airport so this was the first. I thought the price was reasonably good for a comfortable ride to the city. 



Grab App also works in Bangkok and booking the ride is very quick. There are available Grab cars almost in all corners. The price is almost the same in the Philippines. The distance from the city to the airport is a bit far so I paid about Php 600.00 taking Grab. My flight was early and the train did not start operating until 5:00am in the morning. 


ACCOMMODATION

This trip marks my first hostel stay. It was a shared room that did not go more Php 350.00 per night. And I must say the experience was beyond expectations. The room I was in can accommodate 16 people and the toilet and bath was shared too, but large enough for everyone to use. The cleanliness was superb and the location was really good. There's a Hindu temple nearby. Just a few steps outside the place, you'll reach the main road and across the street are a number of local cafes (or karenderias) that offer authentic Thai food. On top this, the hostel's main lobby is really designed well, perfect to cater to millennials' hunger for Instagram-worthy photos. Check Mile Map Hostel here

Through this place, I found a new friend. It all started with the WiFi password. Flore was a young French lady doing her internship at the French embassy in Thailand. She was staying in the hostel until she moved to her apartment. During the almost 48 hours I was there, she was our companion especially that she knew the place better than us. 

In the lobby at Mile Map Hostel.




THAI KARENDERIA EXPERIENCE

Whenever my friends ask me "Where to eat?" "What to eat?" in places I've been to, my advice would always be "Go to a karenderia!" I don't mean to say we avoid fancy restaurants, but I think the best way to start ones gastronomic adventures and to get to know another country better is to eat what most of the locals eat. The perfect way to do that is through karenderias

Sharing a meal with Flore and Anly (my childhood friend).


A WALK TO REMEMBER

There are many walks to remember as this is what I always do when travelling. I don't plan. My itinerary is almost empty. It's always about being spontaneous. The heat and aching muscles I was oblivious about. The thirst and hunger, both of these were quenched and fed by wonderful discoveries. Local coffee shops, countless temples, a fancy mall, and a university (Chulalongkorn) that I thought appeared in my dreams. It was in the mall that I had a peek of how loved the former King was by his people. There was an exhibit solely dedicated to his memory. 

The museum across the gate of our hostel. 



Chulalongkorn University. We spotted this place while walking miles away from our hostel.

Artwork featuring the beloved King.

A closer look at the artwork. 


Other artworks displayed at the exhibit.


THE USUALS

Cruising the Bangkok river en route to The Grand Palace. We probably spent Thb 100.00 to Thb 200.00 for this ride. Quite expensive for an ordinary view. There are many options though. We chose this traditional-looking boat, hence, the price.

Gold details in one of the temples inside the The Grand Palace.

Gold and crystal details.






How grand is grand! The entrance fee based on current rate is Thb 500.00, which is about Php 800.00


SHOPPING

They say one of the best places to go for affordable shopping is in Bangkok so when I was there I made sure to visit Chatuchak Market. The market offers a wide array of food choices, but it is mainly known for ready-to-wear items, souvenirs and accessories. My energy was a bit drained when we went there so I don't have any photos of the place that would have captured the vibe. Let me just share with you the shirt I got from the market that tickled the curiosity of many. Price was around Php 700.00. I would have bought more if money wasn't something I had to worry about! LOL





It's hard to deny the instant connection I had with the place. There was no fear. I felt like I was one with the people, whether locals or foreigners. These are things that are sometimes very hard to explain, but one thing's for sure---I want to experience everything again. Food, meeting people, shopping, culture, name it. 

This isn't the last time, Bangkok. I'll definitely see you some time again in the future.


XoXo, 


Red Eye 


Comments

Popular Posts