Banaue Rice Terraces---Love on Top

When you want to describe or talk about something so beautiful, sometimes you go through all the typing and backspacing because the right words just won't come out especially that the word beautiful itself is just a mere understatement. Hello, writer's block! (Right hand waiving) :-) I tried to play some music, but that didn't work either. I hope it's not because I've become an "incubus viral plague" as described by Miranda Priestly. Right! This runny nose has been killing me for 48 hours now, but no, I won't let it hinder me from talking about a place that put my heart on top. Hahaha Now, that's cheesy! :-D

My Banaue trip happened two years ago so please don't expect me to be as detailed as I need to be. Hahaha This was a few months after my old blog (www.vagabondurchin.com Don't even bother clicking the link LOL) got buried six feet under the ground so I didn't really mind documenting all the bits and pieces of this adventure. Now, the regret is mine. But without bias, I'm sure with the photos below and the little stories I'm going to share, you will be heedless of how much it will cost you to go there and how long it will take. :-P









IN PURSUIT OF THE LOVE ON TOP

If you are up for a one-of-a-kind adventure, I would recommend you drive yourself going to the place. In our case, we rented an SUV and my buddy took the driver's seat as his precious throne while I held the map (and his iPad for) as our travel bibles, our guiding light. I know a lot of people won't risk driving themselves going to the place so they prefer public transport where it's bigger and the drivers are more acquainted with the roads and their dangers. But I believe you'll all agree with me as well that if you do it on your own, the level of satisfaction is unfathomable. The trip will take a day depending on the traffic situation and how well-versed you are with your map. Two years ago, the roads were in the works, so I would like to assume that now they have already finished all the construction that went on during my visit.

REMINDER: Don't take the Baguio route as it's farther unless you are already in Baguio or you live there!




THE SECLUDED HAVEN 

I can't remember now how we found Uhaj Native Village Inn, but this is the place where we stayed. We arrived at night so we didn't get to appreciate the place right away except for the thrill of staying in a traditional Ifugao hut. :-) I was all smiles upon seeing the cottage we'd be staying in. For prices and deals, check NATIVE VILLAGE INN and look for Graham. He is the accommodating British owner of the place who will communicate with you as you travel until you arrive at the resort. If my memory serves me right, we were given a discount too because we rented two cottages. 


We are greeted and welcomed by this friendly cutie upon arrival. He doesn't bark and good thing he didn't bite either. :-D



When we arrived, we were ushered to the restaurant that looks like a log house, very reminiscent of the houses in Aspen, Colorado. I haven't been there LOL, but surely the magazines on architecture that I've collected before taught me to distinguish different architectural styles. There is a fire place in the middle of the foyer, but was unfortunately unlit during our entire stay. :-( The restaurant though offers a variety of Filipino, American, and European meals. Since we arrived late, they could only offer Carbonara, a dish that I don't really fancy eating, but I got to try and appreciate (only because I was hungry). :-D


Aside from the view of the terraces, sleeping inside a traditional Ifugao hut is a highlight at the resort. 



MAJESTIC VIEWS AT BREAKFAST

You have the option to eat your breakfast at the restaurant or in one of the two cottages outside with a magnificent view of the terraces. I'm sure this is one of the few situations in life where making a choice is easy. Agree or agree? :-D You can see a "candid' shot of me looking at that million-dollar view in front of me before I was able to feast on my toast and scrambled egg, which I wished had enormous amount of onions. Yeah, I so love onions! :-P






IT'S ENDLESS AND REALLY GRAND

If there is one real definition of grand, Banaue rice terraces is. I mean, they just go on forever. We had a side-trip to Sagada, which is an hour drive away from Banaue, and during our entire trip, the terraces were never out of sight. So when I had the chance to go to Bali and see their world-famous Ubud rice terraces, I wasn't really dumbfounded having been to Banaue. It was a site to see for curious travelers as I've mentioned in my Bali entry, but if you want a real rice terraces experiences, it has to be Banaue and this is one long trip that I'd still want to do again in the future. 





We passed by this town en route to Sagada.



TO THE HANGING COFFINS OF SAGADA

Today, Sagada has probably become more famous after an indie movie (THAT THING CALLED TADHANA) that was filmed there got so popular in the country---the must-try yogurt and the spectacular morning clouds were stressed out in the film. We didn't come for that unfortunately. Had I known about the yogurt and the clouds, I would have suggested we went there too. But the amusement (and fear) brought by the hanging coffins (plus the winding and cliff-ey roads) was an experience to remember for sure. :-D






LOVE ON TOP

Who would  have thought going to Banaue is something I'd consider trying? Growing up, I always thought of visiting Baguio as I always saw it in old movies that I love to watch as a child. Although learning about Banaue in my history class before especially on how the terraces were made was amusing, it never came into my system that I should go someday. It could be because of fear of the unknown or I guess I just needed that moment or someone to tickle the adventurer within me to try something new, something I'd never expect I could do. 

Banaue is not just beautiful. It's more than that. It's a perfect place for honeymooners. A spot for fearless daredevils. The utopia of soul-searchers. But most of all, it teaches us one big lesson in life---the long drive, the curvy path, the menacing cliffs, the unpredictable weather, and the indescribable spectacle---the real sense of fulfillment comes from hard work!




XoXo,

Red Eye ;-)
@EditsByRedEye (Instagram)
@RedEye0920 (Twitter)
Life Of Red Eye (Facebook)

P.S. Photo credits to @AlexanderTravels for most of the photos in this trip. Thank you! :-)




Comments

Popular Posts