Ying Ying Tea House---The Unexpected Comeback

"Truly. Truly is. Truthfully. I'm (not) through with this." :-) Yes, my heart sings for infinity. A few years ago, when my buddy and I were in search for an authentic Chinese restaurant, we thought the best spot to go was Chinatown, Binondo, Manila! And, I guess, we were on the right track. Our wandering feet and curious visages took us to a place that is, which I'd like to assume, a witness of ordinary and historical events being built within "old' Manila. If you're a sucker for everything modern, this place might not be for you. 

When we set foot on the streets of Binondo, we didn't know where we were heading to. We allowed instinct (and a little prayer inside me) to lead us to a gastronomic gem in the middle of a crowd, old and musty-looking buildings (which I wished were preserved really well), and hovering thoughts inside my head of a possible jeopardy we might come across with as we walked along. The blood gushing through my veins was a perfect mix of perturbation and excitement until we found an old structure erected in a corner filled with people eating that flushed all my emotions to my kidneys---renewed, making me simply bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. We found Ying Ying Tea House and every time we got the chance to stay in Manila, going back to Ying Ying was most of the time on our list and it's something we have shared to friends who enjoyed their food as much as we did. 







THE UNEXPECTED RETURN

When my buddy and I stayed in Makati during our recent visits, we never found time again to go back to the tea house given the distance from Makati to Binondo and also, most of our friends are in or near Makati so it was convenient to meet them within the business capital of the country. Being based in Makati now too, I never thought I'd be able to hunt for the place again until my housemate and childhood friend invited me to Divisoria (a section in Manila where cheap goods are sold) on this day. 

I was excited as much as I was scared to first see Divisoria in the flesh. It's notorious for pickpockets and being robbed seven or eight times in my life, I can't be blamed for feeling insane. But I'm a curious traveler so I took the risk. As we walked towards the place, I noticed we were passing by Binondo so I thought it'd be nice to bring my friend there and experience the emotions again the first time I went to Ying Ying and reminisce the wonderful memories made in the quest for authentic Chinese cuisine. 




THE COMPLEMENTARY HOT TEA

It's been a practice of the house to serve hot tea to its guests while waiting for the orders to be served. Having hyperacidity, coffee is not so good for me. Neither tea because both can be caffeinated, but in my experience, tea is less harmful based on what I feel in my tummy every time I have a gulp or two. I usually like having this before meals because it makes me crave for the food more and the experience is tastier and more savory. :-D




LOVE AFFAIR WITH ORYZA SATIVA

It's quite bizarre using the scientific name here. :-D It just reminds me so much of my aunt who was so proud telling me of the scientific names of all the plants she knew and remembered them even at an old age when I was a kid. Such a wonderful memory to remember given that I don't really go home as often as ten years ago. But it's sad and frustrating that I can't end my love affair with rice. If only it doesn't contribute so much to the development of my love handles. LOL

One of the things my buddy and I enjoy in the context of eating is rice, may it be flavored or plain. He might have been raised in a place where potatoes and bread are two of the main commodities, but he is an Asian at heart. Yeah, rice is a small bit that puts us two together. Hmmm excuse me!!! Hahaha :-D You can see Yang Chow in the photo below.



THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN MEETS THE SLEEPING DRAGON

We, Filipinos, know that siomai is one of the well-known Chinese foods in the country. Aside from being affordable, it's undeniably delicious especially with its hot and spicy sauce. When I was a fresh graduate and trying to make a name for myself in the BPO industry, siomai was always the first choice for dinner and sometimes, even for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. :-D Yes, because it suited the budget and it doesn't compromise the chance to have a delightful meal. 

This one though in the photo is one of siomai's many variations. They call it the Japanese siomai because of some raw or fresh ingredients in it. That's just an assumption, but it looks more like it. There was a bit of stinky smell as well, but like how people described Durian, "it smells like hell, but tastes like heaven!" :-D




THE ALL-TIME FAVORITE

We all have favorites. In the teams I handled before when I worked as a team leader, I did have favorites and this is the first time I'm officially admitting it. Hahaha When I worked as a trainer, I had my set of favorite students too. In Ying Ying, I also have one and it's called Hong Ma, which is very similar to a Visayan staple that happens to be my favorite too, Humba. They say a fiesta will never be a fiesta without Lechon or roast pig, but for me, it will never be a fiesta too without Humba on the table.

Humba is a dish I'm proud to say I'm a master of. At least, my own version. Hahaha But mine is quite different from this, just a little ostentatious I must say. :-D Hong Ma though is the simplest version and I think, the original. I'm not really sure if it's the Chinese immigrants that brought the dish here or it was us who introduced it to them. It doesn't really matter anymore. This is just really yummy! :-P




Another rest day has passed. My boss asked me yesterday what I would do for this holiday and I couldn't give a precise answer. (AND YOU KNOW SHE ALWAYS WANTS ME TO BE PRECISE Hahaha) The simplest and quickest I could say was watch movies at home, but that did not even happen. Knowing myself, I just really want spontaneity. It's good to plan ahead, but when things don't turn out as planned, what's going to be there? Frustration! Disappointment! No, I don't want any of that as much as possible. There are so many ways to live life without having to live by the book, by the so-called rules. And life is too short to live on a singular lane or just see black and white in things or situations. Once in a while, it's good to just wake up and be surprised with the impromptu dance life will put us on and what we have to do is just sway along as the music plays. Or in this case, eat?

Bon appetit! :-P

XoXo,

Red Eye ;-)
@EditsByRedeye (Instagram)
@RedEye0920 (Twitter)
Life Of Red Eye (Facebook)




Comments

Popular Posts