Unexpected Trip to the Garden City

I already had my passport for more than a year last April 2013, however, it hadn't been used. My interest to travel outside the Philippines was unfathomable, but I just didn't know when the perfect timing was and I doubted if I could do it alone. But with the encouragement of a buddy, I finally decided to give it a try so I could use my passport and experience how it feels like to travel outside ones own country. It was a three-night, four-day trip and I only had a few thousands inside my pocket; an amount that was obviously not enough for the duration of my travel. Thanks to my friends who supported me in my journey to the 'Garden of Love.' I got through! 

Like my Hong Kong trip, this one was all about architecture and interior design as well. A lot suggested I should visit Universal Studios, but my mind was just all about tall buildings, great interiors, and of course, stores of my favorite fashion brands and designers. Yes, earlier I called it 'The Garden of Love' and others probably call Singapore a 'City in a Garden.' But I'll stick to mine. True there were gardens everywhere and every site was never boring. So I fell in love with the place right way. I then pictured myself out settling down there. So then there were gardens and my love for the place blossomed like a flower in a garden, thus, I call it the 'Garden of Love.' :-D

From the airport, I got the chance to take one of my favorite cars, Chrysler, going to King's Hotel. I felt like an executive that time. And I guess it's not unknown to everyone that Changi airport itself is an architectural masterpiece. Every corner, every wall, seemed like decor everywhere. I was simply in awe of everything I saw except for the immigration officer who strictly  looked at my face and my passport that didn't have any stamp yet that time. Again, I got through! 

Touring the place alone taught me a lot of things except for using maps. I still suck at it! But the creative way I found to guide me was to use building as my landmarks. After all, I love architecture so why not use structures in a different kind of way? But really, it was helpful and I got through each day with that strategy. I learned to use the train and I enjoyed it. I learned how to talk to people and make friends and all of them were kind enough to share a conversation with me---Malaysian, Algerian, Singaporean, and of course, Filipino. Lastly, I learned that phone and great camera are travel must haves. I got my phone with me so I was able to call my buddy who hailed from UK of GB, a master cartographer, and help me with directions because again, I suck at reading maps. :-D But the greatest fail was travelling without a camera. All I had to do was keep up with my very ancient camera phone.

Looking at the paragraphs above, I never thought I could write this long about my Singapore trip. It was my first trip abroad and there was so much to tell you about it as commonly, there's really so much to talk about first times. My buddy who's not just a great cartographer, but a talented photographer too allowed me to use some of his Singapore photos here in my blog so I could talk about the the spots I've visited and my experience in general. Thank you! :-)


Merlion facing Marina Bay Sands Hotel.


Now, this view is what I'm after. Tall buildings, modern city. 

The Helix Bridge, Marina Bay Sands Hotel, and the ArtScience Museum (That structure looking like an orange peeling). :-D

The Marina Bay Financial Center.

A street in Chinatown. I had my first meal in Singapore in one of the authentic Chinese restaurants here. 

The finished product of my ancient camera phone back then. You can see the Gardens by the Bay. I took a photo of it while I was on the roof deck of Marina Bay Sands Hotel specifically at Ku De Ta bar. I've also walked past the Esplanade, a durian-shared structure on the same area. And course, that very iconic Louis Vuitton store where I was so shy to get in so just took a photo of it from afar. 

After this trip, I became addicted. My feet always wanted to travel over and over again. I've also visited Hong Kong and Vietnam last year and I've got one confirmed trip in the middle of this year, which I will talk more about a few months from now and hopefully, there will be more before the year ends. The card reader was right when she told me I would be able to travel outside the Philippines when I reach 26. It happened. I wasn't sure if it was coincidence or it was really meant to be, but it happened. I'd like to credit my buddy @AlexanderTravels of Instagram for sharing his photos. Follow him to see his travels from all over the globe. You can also follow me on Twitter and Instagram @RedEye0920 

XoXo,

Red Eye :-)


Comments

Popular Posts