Cat Ba and Haiyan

Cat Ba is the largest of the islands that comprise the Cat Ba archipelago. It makes up the southern edge of Ha Long Bay in the northern part of Vietnam. When we arrived in Cat Ba, typhoon Haiyan had just hit the Philippines causing a great number of deaths and damage especially in the Visayan region. I thought I was able to escape it, but I got chased. From the main island, my buddy and I was supposed to ferry ourselves to a smaller island, but all boats were not allowed to sail anymore as the storm was coming. Another reservation was then cancelled.

However, we didn't allow Haiyan to ruin our long-awaited holiday. We just looked for a nearby hotel and stayed there for a few days until we needed to go back to Saigon. I should have taken note of the hotel's name because it was cheap and our room had an ocean view. The best that we could do was walk around the place and do some trekking. From time to time we encountered some drizzling, but the fun we wanted to have went on. Cannon Fort offered a new view of the islands, but during the first time we trekked the place, it was foggy and the view wasn't spectacular. But then again, we always look forward to part two's. So when the typhoon was finally gone and even if the sun wasn't that up yet, we went to Cannon Fort again, took some photos, and enjoyed the fresh air.

There was change of plans, but the trip was still full of fun. Our activities were limited due to the typhoon, but great memories were made---the 'land shrimp', the shouting at the bushes, the dog barking, the children throwing stone at us, the food (fried/ flavored rice), the vase falling on the ground, the people, and of course, my favorite, the great conversations are more than the typhoon scare! It was an experience I'll never exchange for something else. My Vietnam diary is now closed and it's time for you to make yours. If you already have, then we'd be delighted to know about it! :-)


The beach at one of the resorts in Cat Ba.


The strong waves caused by the typhoon.

The aftermath of Haiyan.

Seafood on display.

The obviously bad weather.

Grains being sold in the market.

They are finally out in the open again after the typhoon passed by.

They're all ready to sail again after the storm.

A local maneuvering a water taxi.

Boats light up at night in Cat Ba.

Some of the many islands that make up the Cat Ba archipelago.

Another set of islets.

Isn't that view spectacular?

View from Cannon Fort.

Another view of the islets from Cannon Fort.

If you got a view like that, you'd wish everyday is a holiday.

A million-dollar view of the islets from Cannon Fort. 

I couldn't be more thankful for this experience. I've gone to Singapore and Hong Kong. Each trip was unique, but my Vietnam diary was undeniably my most favorite aside from being the longest. I'm looking forward to many more trips and I'm seriously becoming more addicted. Photo credits to @AlexanderTravels of Instagram. You can also follow me on Twitter and Instagram @RedEye0920 :-)

Comments

Popular Posts